For perfect selvedges and speedy weaving, many weavers prefer end-feed boat shuttles. These boat shuttles use special end-feed bobbins called pirns that do not spin. Rather, the yarn is released off the end of the stationary pirn, through a tensioning device and then out the side of the shuttle.
We offer end-feed shuttles with two different tensioning systems:
- The Honex tensioner really excels with smooth, evenly spun yarns in a wide range of sizes from very fine silk to 3/2 perle cotton.
- Bluster Bays traditional hook and eye tensioner works well with handspun or slubby yarns as well as most commercially spun yarn.
HONEX TENSIONED END-FEED BOAT SHUTTLES
- are very easy to thread
- are well balanced
- have a very fine tension adjustment to handle a wide range of yarn weights
- are available with either open or closed bottoms.
11″ Honex Tensioned End-Feed Boat Shuttles
This is a smaller Honex tensioned end-feed shuttle than any others we’ve found. Depending upon wood choice they can also be very light weight. These end-feed shuttles are perfect for:
- fine, smooth yarn
- use with any kind of loom, including table looms or floor looms with small sheds
- weavers with small hands
These shuttles are 11.5 inches long, 1.625 inches wide and 1.25 inches tall. The aluminum spindles are spring-loaded and designed to carry our lightweight and inexpensive tapered paper pirns.
EF-11-O-Hx 11-inch open bottom, Honex tensioned
EF-11-C-Hx 11-inch closed bottom, Honex tensioned
Each Honex tensioned shuttle is shipped with an Allen wrench for adjusting the tensioner.
15″ Honex Tensioned End-Feed Boat Shuttles
Bluster Bays 15-inch end-feed shuttles are a bit smaller than the original 15″ hook-tensioned shuttles. They are just a little narrower, a bit shorter and not quite as wide. The bronze spindles are spring-loaded and designed to carry the new Bluster Bay brand plastic 8″ pirns.
EF-15-O-Hx 15-inch open bottom, Honex tensioned
EF-15-C-Hx 15-inch closed bottom, Honex tensioned
Shipped with an Allen wrench for adjusting the tensioner.
Please see Bluster Bays instructions for tensioning the yarn in your Bluster Bay Honex tensioned end-feed shuttle, and for correctly winding pirns.